TRAEGER ELK ROAST
Being raised on a cattle ranch out in the middle of no where, meant we either ate beef we raised ourselves or wild game! Meat and Taters were definite staples on our dinner table! One of our favorite ways to prepare an Elk Roast is to smoke it on the Traeger with some carrots and taters! This complete dinner is a huge hit for my whole family and is super easy!
Here’s our favorite easy week night meal, loved by the whole family!
PREPARING AND SMOKING YOUR ELK ROAST
*4 Pound Elk Roast
*1 Tablespoon Ted and Barney’s Seasoning
*3-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Make sure your elk roast is completely thawed out for more accurate cooking times.
- When you’re ready fire up your Traeger Grill to the smoke setting or to a temperature of 225 degrees F.
- To keep your roast from drying out place a cast iron pan with water near the heat source of your smoker to add moisture throughout the cooking process.
- Drizzle olive oil over the roast and then add seasoning. Applying and rubbing the olive oil first will allow your seasoning to stick better.
- Place in smoker at 225 degrees and cook until an internal temperature of 150 degrees for a medium-rare result. Your elk roast should take about 4 hours or about an hour per pound.
PREPARING AND COOKING YOUR TATERS AND CARROTS
*2 Pounds small red potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
*4 or 5 large carrots sliced
*1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Basil
*1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Parsley
*1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
*5-6 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
*Salt and Pepper to your liking
- First you want to pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the cut up potatoes and carrots with herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil and minced garlic.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and turn potato mixture out, making sure to spread for more even cooking.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until potato skins are crispy. Turn once during cooking.